Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lisbon


Boa noite !
Thank god for the Carnation Revolution in 1974!
Since here is a Freedom Day on 25th of April gave me some free time to write to you about my stay in a lovely city Lisbon. Although I enjoy my time in hospital, I always look forward to these nice sunny and free days in Portugal. We, white Estonians, are already changing colour. J
Now, let’s begin.
First days in the big city were scary, I am quite used to living in Tartu, I even get lost in Tallinn, Lisbon is a whole new level for me. But the metro system saves me, it is very logical and only three lines, it takes people everywhere they like.  
It took me 3-4 days to find a home, since then I had a friendly host, now I live in Rua Campolide, I have a magnificent view to one of the sights of Lisbon - Águas Livres Aqueduct from my little balcony, plus I have a cat living here.  And as I am a lucky person, my internship place – Hospital Curry Cabral is just a 15-20 min walk away. Okay, I have to walk up to a hill to a nearest shop, but this is not a problem to a physiotherapy student.
Everyone in the school (teachers, international office) was very helpful, kind and friendly – this comes naturally to Portuguese people.  Of course Grete, who was already feeling herself home in here, helped me a lot. Thank You ! First days were full of different parties (it is a big part of Erasmus, specially in Lisbon) and sightseeing, few days and it already felt like home. But as a blonde, they will never take me as their own. Have not been homesick yet!
Today, it is exactly a month of my stay, just noticed that.  I have already travelled outside of Portugal (stories about our trips are coming), but I will never forget the first time I saw the ocean in Cascais (city near to Lisbon). 
I have already found so many friends, I am still finding new beautiful places in the city, more and more love my work/internship in the hospital, it has been SUPER and the best moments are yet to come.
Lisbon is the best city to do your Erasmus, different events EVERY day for international students, you just can not get bored here. 


Cascais

Tradition of Portuguese students is to arrange a dinner and after that there is a schools' ansambel Tuna performing and the traditional ceremony takes place. 

Picture of our hospitals' gym.


And the shopping places are fantastic. 


Liina Kõllamets
FT II




No comments:

Post a Comment