Saturday, April 27, 2013

Madrid, Spain ! :)

Hola!

My name is Heleene. I am a second year physiotherapy student and this year I am doing my practical training in Spain. Though, as it turned out, here I am a third year student since their curriculum is four years long so I can get used to the fact of being a third year student for the sake of next year in Estonia.

So, where do I start? The amazing placement in Hospital Universitario de Getafe, superb people or the morning excitment you have to start yet another perfect day? Since I absolutely every single thing about my practical training, I will start from there!


I want to start with my colleagues - other students from Pontifical Comillas University of Madrid. They are supercool! One of them is a matchmaker and found a great boy for one of the chicas. Couple of days later this guy became a patient of mine, well patient of my tutor's but still. So I did some digging : name, age etc. And today it turned out it is not the guy, the right guy has something wrong with his ankle but mine has shoulder problems. Close enough, both are joints at least.. :)


But, lets move on to the amazing team of physiotherapists! First and foremost I want to recognize them for speaking or trying to speak English with me. I so-so appreciate it! And the spirit that these guys have is impressive! Couple of days ago I was at the electrotherapy room and one physio was explaining me how does the patient system work there and how another physio trolled with her. They have these small papers with patient's name, patient number (like a personal code) and what treatment should they receive. So the other physio came up with a patient called Antonio Banderas. So she went out to call in the new patient "Antonio! Antonio Banderas!" Hahaha! So funny! They are so freakin' amazing!


And the working conditions.. well part of it. :)


Other students told me that my tutor is one of the strictest teachers in that hospital. Student before me had to wait couple of weeks before he could actually touch one of the patients. I don't understand it, since she is amazing. She explains everything very well, shows interesting techniques and lets me to try them. And even gives me advice what to do in Spain to get full experience. And I so love her accent! I think I have never ever been so amazed by a teacher! So to prove the cool different tehniques: left one shows you how to make a bandage for lymphedema and right one is TENS (electrotherapy thing, feels very nice and I got my own personal electrodes, üüüü!)


And today, we were treating one of the patients that we have : I usually treat his right shoulder and she treats his left shoulder (right one is in better condition and doesn't cause that much pain). So, as I started to treat him, I raised the bed and started to do the exercises and when I was done, I wanted to be nice and lower the bed for my tutor but I got too carried away so she came and
"Heeey, I am not that short!"

Oh, and then we had one more patient. Two patients a day. lol ! It was our last patient that day and we had finished treating her, she just had to receive cryotherapy and it went something like this
Tutor: "You can stay and talk to her if you want to or you can leave."
Patient: "Yeah, I am the nicest person."
Tutor: "In the whole world?"
Patient: "Yes."
Tutor: "Yes, well third nicest after me and Heleene."
I so love her! :)

But also about my patients. I love them! Everytime I get to work and walk to the physio-room they are waiting outside and they are like "Hola (waving), que tal?" with a superbig smile on their face. Mmm, and I have so many young patients which is cool because you can actually treat their injuries. I mean last year most of my patients were old and the injuries were caused by their old age so I can't really do anything.

Since physiotherapists promote healthy life style, here are some snacks from our room ! ;)


Well, I'll keep you updated! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment