Saturday, June 22, 2013

Greetings and farewell to Malta!

My name is Rasmus and I'm a 2nd year radiography student from Tartu. I've been in Malta for 3 and a little over months and I enjoyed my time here. This is first and also last post and I hope that it includes all the things I have seen and done here.

Coming here went without any trouble. When we arrived it was already night time and we didn't even know where our apartment was exactly. Even the taxi driver had some trouble finding it since he wasn't familiar with the region we were staying at, but luckily we got there on the first try. We had a couple of days to spare before our first meeting with the ERASMUS people here so we had a good first weekend.

On Monday we went to the hospital to get some details where and how our practices are going to be. If I remember correctly the next day was a public holiday so "Yayy" for us. On Wednesday we had a tour around the University campus and we also started our practice. I was a bit nervous cause I didn't know what kind of people were there but luckily I stumbled upon some really cool and friendly staff members here. We were also given some assignments to do. They were quite bothersome but all were done and graded well.

Practice itself was good. The people are ready to help you and teach you but only if you really want to do something. Some will give a push and get you to do things but some won't. The local students really just sit around the howl day and talk with the radiographers. They way the radiographers communicate with the patients is also really different from Estonia. The radiographer and the patient are like best friends. They talk about almost everything, like about their personal life and so on. And they can sometimes be quite loud but that's just the way they talk. But you can really feel relaxed doing your practice here. You learn new things and at the same time it's really fun.

We also did some sightseeing in Malta and also in Gozo. Here are some picture about the things that I saw here...

Azure window in Gozo

Little town of Xliendi in Gozo

Our ride in Gozo

Doing some checking.
 (Second later I was running away from the water)

The water here looks so nice but is really salty.

Our home town, Marsascala.

***

This is actually says "Türi" on the upper left corner.
Nice!

This is what the nature looks on the local islands.


I also went to the Earth Garden music festival which was awesome. It was three days filled with different kind of folk music from the local bands. I was able to get a tent and stay at the camping area. The tent I got from my supervisor and also my friend from nuclear medicine. Also there were many people selling cool stuff for the entire time. I would recommend this event for everyone to get the more relaxed feeling.


This was like a small gathering corner where people
could come and perform what the wanted and also just watch others perform.

The place was filled with little shops like these, but they were a bit expensive.

Had some trouble finding this cat statue. It was quite big.


So this pretty much sums up what I've been doing here. I also went to Sicily but unfortunately I forgot my cameras memory-card so I don't have any picture from that trip. I went to Mt. Etna and a little city called Modica. I wouldn't recommend to go on Etna, because for me there wasn't much to see but you get a nice view from up there.

So tomorrow I'm going home. I really enjoyed my time in the practice here and I would really like to stay a bit longer but also I would like to go back. I would really recommend to come here on ERASMUS because there are so many things to do here and the weather is always nice. I actually miss the rain. So yeah, three months filled with sunny days and swimming in the Mediterranean Sea is perfect for a practice. But there isn't much nature here, mainly rocky terrain and some bushes and few trees. Also the streets are quite dirty but you can easily overlook that.

And that is it!

See you soon in Estonia!
Rasmus

No comments:

Post a Comment