Sunday, June 9, 2013

Greetings form Foggia!


In this post we are going  to talk a bit about our practices in the hospitals.

Egle: I was doing  intensive care and geriatric practice. At first intensive care practice took place at chirurcical department and when we asked can we see an intensive care unit also, they said yes for a week. So, we saw actually two wards and we could do different procedures. Most of them we knew already, but some of them were new. Most of the collegues were friendly but they did not speak much english. It was difficult to communicate with them, but other italian students helped us out.

On geriatric ward the welcoming was warmer and people there were friendlier. They really wanted us to show how we do procedures ant they let us do almost everything. Mostly the hospitals looked the same as in Estonia, but there are differences how they did procedures and what they used for doing them. Some of the things looked weird to us, but it is obvious because our cultures are very different. The thing I liked the most is the way how doctors talked with the patients. They really communicated with patients, not only about medicine, but about life and so on. And they  are supporting them by holding their hands. To sum up, the experience in these wards was great and I can share them later with my schoolfriends.

 View from the ward




Pille: I am doing my practice in d'Avanzo hospital and in here physiotherapists work together in one big gym.



Italian physiotherapy students have more practice than we do. They study for three years, but in the mornings they have practice in the hospital and after lunch they go to lectures and do their exams. So, sometimes their schooldays might last until 7 or 8 PM.

Kristel: My first practice was with Egle, in thoracic surgery and intensive care unit. After that, I started a new practice in pediatrics, where I got the best welcome. I spent most of my time with medical students, who were very helpful and let me try to do all the things I was up to. Although the practice has ended, we are still in contact and I hope to visit them soon again.

The third practice is the one I was most afraid of- psychiatrics. There I’m also mostly with medical students, who try to translate as much as they can, but as 99% of psychiatrist’s work is verbal, it’s hard to translate everything. But still, I like being there.

All the best
Egle, Pille and Kristel

No comments:

Post a Comment