Saturday, May 19, 2012

Boa tarde!

I've been so busy, that I totally forgot to update this blog! But I'll correct the mistake now.

I've been in Lisbon for two months now and I'm really enjoying it! It's almost like summer here. Last week we had the perfect beach weather - 30 degrees! I's gotten a bit cooler by now but next week it'll be as warm again.


In Cascais, a small resort 30 km from Lisbon. Due to it's beaches, it's a great tourist attraction.

I'm doing my second internship (muscular-skeletal physiotherapy) in Fernando Fonseca Hospital in Amadora. Amadora is a small town near Lisbon (it gets me 1, 5 hours to get there every morning - I have to wake up at 6!). Amadora has the highest population density in whole Portugal. The hospital is a quite new one, the physiotherapy department was created in 1997.
The internship is really interesting. I've got an amazing supervisor, who explains a lot, sometimes he likes to challenge me by asking different questions about anatomy, physiology, various techniques etc. So I have to think a lot, so much, that sometimes even my head starts hurting. :D
There is one not so good thing though - I cannot speak Portuguese (of course I know some words and can understand some) but most of the patients cannot speak any English either - so it's rather difficult for me to communicate with them, but still, somehow we always manage. It just takes a lot more effort.
The patients are really friendly and motivated. The way of treating seems a bit more personal in Portugal than in Estonia. Mostly there are patients with different kinds of knee injuries like patella tendon ruptures, ACL ruptures, patellar fractures and luxations. There are also a lot of amputees who do their walking and strength training there. 


Fernando Fonseca Hospital in Amadora.



Keep you updated soon!


Triin 
FT II

No comments:

Post a Comment