Thursday, May 10, 2012


Hello again!
My practice is nearly over in Jyväskylä and I am going home at the end of next week. It has been really good so far. I have now been practicing in Kinkomaa hospital, where there are almost all neurological patients.

The physical therapists are very outgoing here and they are doing all they can so you could learn as much as possible during your practice. There are very good therapy conditions here. A lot of different machines such as gait trainer and different gym machines.

They also use some electricity treatment with NMES and Micro-Z. It is very nice that they have different therapy sessions for like 6 patients at one time. Through that they do dancing therapy and play lentopallo wich is like volleyball but with a balloon and sitting down. The dancing lessons are very good. Patients get very happy, they relax and just enjoy dancing and music as much as they can. I have also had the chance to work in a rehabilitation team and I spent a day in the ward working with care takerers and nurses. It is good that students have their own room in the hospital. 

And when working with patients you can do a lot by yourself but ofcourse it is good if you now finnish. So if anybody wants to come and practice in Finland, it would be really good to take some finnish courses before that so you could understand more and do your work much better. 
For the next two weeks I am going to a private centre called OIVA where there is an estonian physical therapist working. So it is really good that I can see different work places with such a short time. But I will talk about OIVA in my next and probably final post. 
Enjoy the spring!
Maarja

No comments:

Post a Comment