Friday, May 24, 2013

MT

Greetings from Malta.
Took a long time for me to get something posted so
I'll try to give you a brief overview. 
My name is Eyleen and I'm a second year radiography student doing my placement in Malta. 
So, I'll try to start from the beginning.
It was the first time I traveled so far, needless to say the first time I had flown an aircraft. When I arrived, Malta seemed nice. Now I have been here for quite a while and maybe gotten used to it. There are a lot of things, that are different and maybe hard to understand for a typical Estonian. 
First thing I learned was, that buses NEVER arrive in time. Also, when you try to stop a bus in the bus stop, it may happen that it doesn't stop, because the bus driver just ignores you... Fair enough. The second option is, they don't arrive at all. Kind of sarcastic, because the name of the bus company is called 'Arriva' which means 'to arrive'. Well, yes, takes time getting used to. The second thing is, that Maltese are never in a hurry. They have all the time in the world. Sometimes a 15-kilometre trip by bus takes 2 hours. No worries. 
The thing that I was amazed of, was they throw their trash everywhere, doesn't matter if it's a bus stop or a family park, doesn't matter if the garbage can is 2 metres away. It's sad, because they have so beautiful nature so for me it's kind of stupid to trash it like that.
What else... Well, the Maltese are mostly very friendly people, I think it has a lot to to with their climate. Think, I would be happy and cheerful too, if I had the sun shining on me 300+ days a year. Actually, it kind of frightens me, that they are so full of energy all the time, I don't really know how to respond (considering I'm an Estonian). But yeah, its quite different from the places I've been in.
I can say that I have been to a lot of places in Malta already. My friend visited me and we managed to see quite a few things so I'm going to post some pictures. Here they are:


This place is called Golden Bay. Actually my instructor in PET/CT advised me to go there, it was supposed to be the most beautiful beach in Malta (?). There are 3 different bays in the northwestern area of Malta: Golden Bay, Riviera Bay and Gnejra bay. At first I didn't get, why the locals were wearing jackets and long pants when it was 30 degrees outside. Before I went to Golden Bay, I had already got sunburned twice. And then I found out.


 This is our local reggae bar in Marsaskala, where we live in, it is called called 'Zion'. Zion means a sacred, harmonious place. Well, it sure is. Me and Rasmus are weekly visitors there. :)


There are a lot of cats in Malta. Most of them don't have a home and they stay outside, but people usually go to feed them. I didn't see a lot of stray dogs though. Poor kitties. :(



If you are wondering about the colour of water in Malta then here it is: Bright blue :)
This picture is taken from the fishing village in Gozo (which is one of the islands in Malta). It's called Xlendi Bay. 

 





 Here is another one:













Since we didn't have anyone to talk to, because we don't really know that much Maltese, we tried our luck on a Maltese horse. Apparently he/she was the only one who wanted to communicate with us. This horse is from Valletta, the capital of Malta. Now we have a friend.

Well, these are only the few places, which I have visited, but I'm afraid the post is long enough. Next weekend, me and Rasmus are going to visit a festival called 'Earth Garden'. I'll post a picture from last year so you'll get a gist of it:

 So, basically, people come together, listen to good music, bring their instruments and play music and just relax and enjoy themselves. 

I think that's all for today, I'll try to make pictures from the festival and post them. Stay tuned.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment