Sunday, May 19, 2013

Salo, Finland and the Operating theatre

Finally it seems that summer has arrived in Finland also. It has been really hot and nice weather about week. I have been waiting about two months and finally I can wear my summer clothes, jippi :). Yesterday my tutor and I had some picnic barbeque on the beach. It was really nice. Some people went even swimming, although water is not warm enough, but sun was shining and temperature were +25 C.


I have been practicing in operating theatre two weeks now. It has been really interesting, actually it is so exciting there, that sometimes it is hard to concentrate my anesthetic nurse role. There is very good team work and all the people are friendly and equal. The doctors are teaching me also, not only nurses, which is really good. In the coffee or lunch time, we are also together with surgeons and doctors, so it is like one big family and it really is supportive and nice working team. Relations are good and it is easy to come practicing and work.
As I have been here I understand that teaching/studying nursing is in Estonia quite high level. All the basic things that we need to know has been really useful here. When I was in school I thought there are some stuff that it is not so important or not so useful to learn, but when I came here and nurses, doctors are asking something I am very thankful that I have heard about these things and know at least something in basic nursing.
In operating theatre every day starts with coffee and welcome of operating theatre sister-in- charge. She is telling shortly what will happen in the day (what operations and which room) and which role everyone is doing and where they are. All the nurses have to do all the roles. There are four roles and nurses are working every day  in different room and they are changing their positions in their own team. The roles are: recovery room nurse, anesthesiological, circulation and scrub nurse. In my practicing time I will be in recovery room and in anesthesiological nurse role. 

Before operation: Waiting room for patients





A special room for C-sections only.


Railika Toim Õ3








No comments:

Post a Comment